Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Hasty Generalization













Hasty Generalization

"We are not of the same level of tolerance."

I have just been told of this statement today.
The words were uttered in an attempt to probably
told me that I am at any level of tolerance
lower than that of the speaker.

It somehow amuses me.

I thought these kind of personalities that I have learned
in my masteral degree were that rare.
And now I have experienced them, first hand.

Analyzing the idea with the so called 90/10 technique,
I am reminded of Plato's words of wisdom,
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
How would I react?
Well, I think I would still be open-minded. (remembering the lines of Desiderata).
Maybe it is a challenge, a reminder for me who is
about to surrender, about to give up. I am grateful somehow.

Of course, mutually we do not know each other well.
That is why I would respect the speaker's opinion for
thinking the way how he thinks when he said these words to me.
He may have thought to have gone through a lot of difficulties than me.
But he had just committed the so called
Hasty Generalization (remember the Fallacy of Logic?)
or known as "Fallacy of Insufficient Statistics."
Yes, because he should know me well to conclude.
To avoid from committing Hasty Generalization
your basis must be firm and intact or else you would
fall into it by having a false analogy.

One thing that I have learned from those
psychology classes is that:
Life has a lot of aspects. Being better on one of it does not
mean we are better on the other.
And if we think or act so, it will just make us look stupid.

It teaches me humility, and despises the hard-to-let-go Pride.

No comments: